One problem that many students don’t fully consider before moving into student housing for the first time is a lack of storage space. Student dorms are small and designed comfortably but efficiently with an emphasis on “just enough” living space. Coming from home where you might have a larger room, multiple closets throughout the house and a garage, a sudden lack of places to put things is a bit of a shock. Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to make the most of the limited amount of space you have.
- Take only what you need. Of course, the best solution is to just not bring a whole lot of stuff with you. Bring enough to make your room comfortable and homely, but avoid extra stuff – it’s just more to deal with when you move out later anyway. If you’re able to return home over the holidays, see if you can switch your wardrobe out by seasons, so you only have the pieces you need for each semester.
- Keep drawers in line. A cluttered drawer is a huge waste of space – and impossible to find anything in! Use dividers to make the most of your drawer spaces, separating types of clothing, jewellery or stationary into portions that use up the entire drawer.
- Vacuum pack clothes you aren’t using. Once you’re done with heavy winter clothing, popping them into a vacuum-seal bag and sucking the air out of them is the best way to stop them taking up excess space. You can store these under your bed, which stops them from cluttering up the room.
- Hanging storage. Use the ceiling and walls to your advantage by hanging storage from them, such as wall pouches for stationary and documents, or suspended clothing hampers.
- Boxes. Boxes are a great way to create additional storage space where there is none – they can sit on or under tables, under your bed or on the floor of your wardrobe. They’re great for things like books and dvds, accessories or odds and ends such as tools or scissors – things you don’t need every day, but like to own.
- Double hangers. It seems like a simple tip, but it can make a huge difference – hang two or more pieces of clothing on a hanger instead of one and it saves a great deal of space.
Make the most of your student living space with these simple but effective space saver tips.